Saturday, January 03, 2009

Dragonfly (1) - Agrionoptera Sexlineata

Family : Libellulidae
Common Name : Handsome Grenadier
Status : Uncommon
Location : Venus Drive, Macritchie Nature Trail

This colourful species is a rare forest dragonfly which I spotted while on my way to search for the metallic green damselfly. It is one of the most beautiful dragonflies that I have sen so far.  The male has blue, black and red segments of abdomen.  The thorax of both sexes is deep metallic green with three yellow stripes on the sides.  The female is slightly larger with orange colour of 6-7 segments of its obdomen.

(Male - Venus Drive, 29 Dec 2008)

Unlike other forest dragonflies which often perch on shady or darker areas, the male of this species seems to prefer on bright open space. They usually come out in the afternoon and lighting was not an issue. They are also quite cooperative and I have little problems shooting them.

(Female - Venus Drive, 6 Jan 2009)

(Male, front view - Venus Drive, 29 Dec 2008)

2 comments:

Dragonchaser said...

Hi Anthony,
Fantastic photos, just awesome! I think the Singaporean members of this species is much more colourful than those I've seen her in Borneo!

Cheers!

Joe

Anthony Quek said...

Joe,
Yes, this is one of the most colourful species that I have seen in Singapore.

Regards,
Anthony.