Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Damselfly (34) - Vestalis amoena

Family : Calopterygidae
Common name : Charming Flashwing
Status : Uncommon
Location : Gunung Belumut Recreational Forest, Johore

We have two Vestalis species in Singapore namely V. amethystina & V. amoena.  Both look almost identical with metallic green colouration and they have attractive clear wings that can sparkle with purplish iridescence when photographed at a correct angle and with fill flash.  V. amethystina is a common forest species in Singapore but V. amoena is classified as uncommon.  V. amethystina is frequently found in the vicinity of clear forest streams whereas, V. amoena is often associated with large forest streams.


(Male - 16 July 2011)


According to the Dragonfly of Singapore book, one way to tell them apart is through of the anal appendages.   I did not manage to get a close-up shot of this damselfly as it disappeared when I tried to close in with my gears.  Hence, I have no idea how to tell from looking at the image.  Since this damselfly was found at a large forest stream, I hope it is a V. amoena.  Please correct me if I am wrong.

(Male - 16 July 2011)

No comments: